Delicious Honeybush-Tea Ice Cream
This is Rahel & Ron's first blog post for Tèaura and we thought to get this started with a literally "cool" tea-recipe of them. If you love great tea as much as we do, you'll definitely want to get a spoon full of this tasty ice cream at home. We were blown away! Interested? Keep on reading to get the recipe.
Promise, you'll love it!
Rahel & Ron cook with Tèaura teas
We are Rahel & Ron a food blog based in the middle of Switzerland, a little city called Sursee. A while ago we came across Tèaura and its wonderful, sustainable and traditional tea products. We really fell in love with the tea's quality and tradition! Reason enough to give away some of our recipes we created with tea – not any tea, Tèaura tea!
Summer is getting closer – the perfect time for a refreshing yet creamy ice cream. We love tea and got to know some of Tèaura's products in the last few months. Because of the great quality and sustainable production, they work perfectly as ingredients in food recipes. We decided to go with Honeybush on this little experiment. You may ask: "Why Honeybush?"
Organic Honeybush from Tèaura
The certified organic Honeybush tea straight out of South-Africa's Cape coastal mountains resembles a mouth full of warm honeyed milk. It's name might already be a hint to that fact. This sweet honey-like flavors inspired us to turn such a great product into a delicious ice cream. What an amazing taste it was!
Läuft Ihnen schon das Wasser im Mund zusammen? Dann lassen Sie uns loslegen. Diese Aromen wollen Sie sich wirklich nicht entgehen lassen!
Honeybush Ice Cream Recipe
For this recipe you'll either need a food processor and an ice cream machine or a really strong arm. We served this Honeybush ice cream together with some glazed pecan nuts and little caramel sculptures. Fancy, yet so delicious!
This is a rather easy recipe but you'll definitely taste the quality of the ingredients you're using. So get real good organic local eggs, dairy products and of course good quality tea. You won't regret this decision.
Ingredients (for 1l Ice Cream):
- 6 egg yolks
- 200g white sugar
- 3.5dl heavy cream
- 3.5dl milk
- 4 Tbs Tèaura Honeybush tea
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Simmer the milk and cream slowly in a saucepan.
- As soon as it starts to bubble, add the tea and stir.
- While simmering for 15 minutes stir well and let the tea infuse.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to infuse with the tea until it has cooled down well.
- While the mixture cools, beat egg yolks with sugar in food processor until it is creamy and almost white.
- Let the tea blend through a thin mesh sieve.
- Slowly add the liquid into the sugar-egg mixture with constant stirring and add the pinch of salt into the mixture now.
- Put everything again through the same sieve and cool it down in the fridge.
- Now put the cooled liquid in the ice cream machine and finish it as usual.
- Let it mature in the freezer overnight – for at least 4-6h.
Instructions for the caramelised Pecans:
- To caramelise the pecans, cover the bottom of a coated pan with a thin layer of sugar.
- Heat the pan over medium heat until the sugar begins to melt. Important: Do not stir until the sugar melts!
- As soon as it gets a slightly golden color, add the remaining sugar slowly bits-by-bits.
- Now you can tilt the pan so that everything melts evenly - still don't stir!
- When the desired caramel color is achieved, stir in the pecan nuts and place the contents on a baking paper to cool.
- Tip: Pull the warm caramel to make delicious little sugar sculptures that are perfect for decor.
- Enjoy it to the fullest!
By the way... Honeybush, due to being low in tannins and free of caffeine, is a perfect evening brew before going to bed. Give it a try – you'll love it!
If you want to read this recipe in German, visit our blog post here and find some more recipes at the same time. We're looking forward to seeing you there.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. Let us know by leaving a comment.
Kind regards from Sursee,